Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tuesday, January 26th

Whew!  We all had a much (!) better night's sleep last night.  What an ordeal!

Let's see, today's report.  I didn't go down with everybody as I had to tend to the home fires.  My daughter Caitlin, husband Ted, Gina and Adam took Mom to see Dad. 

When they got there at around 2:30, a therapist had him doing physical therapy.  They actually got to see him stand up with assistance.  He stood with a walker for about 2 minutes, then took a rest.  His voice is still raspy, but clearer than it was yesterday.  Other than that, not much to report.  Katie and Adam spent most of the time with him.  It was a little warm in the room for mom.  Lots of layers and add onto that the paper gown...not a good combination.  Word to the wise - dress for the Bahamas if you go to see Dad! 

His nurse told me today that he can have visitors 24/7.  I strongly suggest you don't arrive at 2 in the morning.  That might make him cranky.  We are discovering that late morning into early afternoon is his best time for visiting.  Usually anytime after 3 he's pretty tired.

Now that dad doesn't have the breathing tube, he has a, what I call, "The Sucky Straw."  It's just like the suction thingy at your friendly neighborhood dentist's office.  When he gets phlegmy (oooo, what a good word!), he is to use the sucky straw to remove it.  Last night, as my aunt and uncle were leaving, we were looking at dad to say our goodbyes, when he lifted the sucky straw and did the sign of the cross.  One for each of us.  We were blessed by the Sucker!  He kind of looked like some demented monarch from spit-suction land!  To see that sense of humor come out was fabulous.  The sparkle was in his eyes, too. 

I am going to leave you with that visual.  Good luck getting it out of your head. 

Good night!

Leslie :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Aliverti Family,

    it was wonderful bumping into all of you yesterday at Claires Pantry.

    I Dad and I rarely get to Edmonds and it was a lovely surprise to see you all together.

    We just wanted to let Ed know how much we love him and that he is in our thoughts...!!!

    Ed and Shirley you have been a huge part of my parents life and most recently having Ed sing a few years ago at my mothers service was absolutely heaven sent...!!!
    If I haven't said it enough you are a man of great generousity of heart, soul and time...!!!
    Ed I am sure you will be jumping up doing the Italian version of an Irish jig in no time...!!!

    Take care,

    all our love Fiona and Michael Dunne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a wonderful job. I hope you have writing a book on your list of things to do. Your Dad is an amazing man and the more I meet and hear about his family, the more I realize what a treasure we had back in the days of Choir and don't forget the councilors office! When he looks at you with those eyes and his chin down and - well you know! We all love him very much and hope we caused a smile or two in his life.
    Thanks for keeping us connected!

    ReplyDelete