Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday, January 15th

It has been a few days since the last post.  I apologize. 

Well, where to start?  Whatta week!

Dad had is first post-hospital doctor's visit on Monday.  There's good news and bad.  The good news is his lungs sounded good and the xray came back clear.  The bad news is there was a liver enzyme number in the bloodwork that the doc didn't like.  So...

We voluntarily checked him into Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle.  This is where his oncologist, Dr. Picozzi, is located.  Dad said it's like "going home."  It's definitely his comfort zone.  I think he feels better being back under Dr. P.  I know I am, and I think I speak for the family.

He's having a CAT scan tonight.  Don't really know much more than that.  When I hear more about that, I will pass along that information.

We are asking that there please be *no visitors* while they're trying to figure out this latest issue.  He's had a pretty rough time of it this week, so it's time to rest.  Of course, cards and letter are always welcomed!  I don't know anything address-wise other than it's Virginia Mason and he's in room 1476.  When I get the address I'll post it for you.

So, needless to say it's been an interesting week.  I talked to him tonight and he sounded much better than he did yesterday.  We think in addition to everything else, he was extremely dehydrated.  Amazing what a little fluid will do for you.  DRINK YOUR WATER!!!!

Mom's hanging in there.  She has her ups and downs, too.  She's missing him terribly, as is Chewey, the dog.  We are lucky to have a great circle of family and friends that take care and support all of us, most importantly mom.  She's finding it hard to concentrate on anything but dad, but we're working hard on changing that.  She does her daily walk with the dog, which is good for her soul.  It's her calm time.  If you're ever driving around Edmonds, around the 220th/Westgate Elem. area, look for her!  Wave as you go by, or stop and say hello (providing you can do so safely!).

We are dealing with the repercussions of the strokes mom had several years back.  They left scar tissue in her brain, and that's affecting her memory.  Her short term memory isn't the greatest on a good day, but throw in all this turmoil and it's really taking a toll on her.  She's taking it like a trooper, though!  She has every bit of tenacity and strength that my dad does.

I'm learning a lot through all of this, as I believe we all are.  It makes you think of things you:  a) don't think of and b) don't want to think about.  Don't put the inevitable chores off until you have to do them in a hurry.  Luckily my dad is so organized we were able to just walk in and take over day to day chores/bookkeeping that he does.  Learn from him!  I guess once a teacher, always a teacher!  It's what he does best!

That's it for tonight.  Again, I apologize for the missed nights.  Sometimes life just gets in the way! 

Hope you all had a fantastic week, and enjoy your weekend!

Leslie :)

3 comments:

  1. Still praying for your dad Leslie. Will add your mom to them as well. Love you all.
    Deana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Leslie. James Glasgow shared your blog address with me so that I can join your audience of concerned Ed watchers.

    Hello and love to Shirley, Jan and Gena, too!

    Rick Asher

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice that you're doing this, it makes it a lot easier to let a bunch of people know what's going on -- thanks!
    James Glasgow

    ReplyDelete