Saturday, January 16, 2010

Saturday, January 16th

Good evening!

Another busy, big day!

Dad started the day out by eating a big breakfast!  He's eating really quite well since he's been there at VM.  This is in stark contrast to yesterday's breakfast - Gina had to basically force him to eat a few bites of oatmeal.  She knew he needed food in his stomach to take his prednisone.  Today, he ordered from the menu and ate it!  I guess for lunch he had a bowl of bow-tie pasta, green beans and a good sized portion of salmon.  It does my heart good to hear that he's not only eating, but eating heartily!  That must be the Italian in me coming out...

As to his test results, some we are still waiting on (CAT and MRI).  They drew fluid out of his abdomen and it came back clear.  I believe he said they also drew some out of his chest, but haven't heard on this yet.  They did discover he has a pretty serious bacterial infection in his blood.  They are going to treat this with some major antibiotics.  The good news is they found it.  The bad news is he's in quarantine, meaning absolutely no visitors at this time.  When he is able to have visitors again, we will let you know.  Hopefully it won't be too long.  It's just that this infection is contagious.  If you want to read up on it, head to Webmd.com and type VRE in the search box.

If you ever wonder if it's okay to visit dad, please feel free to call me on my cell phone.  I would put the number up here, but since this is a public forum, I'm not comfortable with that.  Just email me at alivertiblog@hotmail.com and I'd be glad to send it to you.  Please tell me who you are, though!

Dad is again on the road to recovery.  I'm happy to say he's wearing a path in that road!

As always, I am putting out the prayer request for dad and his doctors.  The prayers are still very much appreciated - that will never diminish. 

Have a good night --

Leslie :)

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you dear Shirley and Ed. The Aliverti strength and love is greatly apparent in your blog, Leslie. Thank you for the reminder regarding putting aside the "inevitable chores". Yes, Ed is a teacher! However, I think of him as Mr. MUSIC!!! Many of us who worked in the registration dept. at EdCC recall the numerous times he would come thru that door saying, "it's way too quiet in here" and he'd break into song! God Bless - I pray for all of you.

    Donna Karls-Miner
    Sequim, WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the good lord bless and bolster all of you as you trod that "rutted" pathway. Thank you for your efforts in keeping all of us up to date on Ed's condition. Say hello to both your mom and dad for me, please! All of us have been so fortunate to have Ed and Shirley be such an important part of our lives. we're lucky to have you accept this role and keep us connected.

    With love to all,
    Don and Frances Blasingame
    Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete