Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday, January 23rd

Hi all!

I've got nothin'.  You make it up, and let me know how it goes.  :o)

Oh, alright.  I was teasing.  Been a long day of really doing nothing.  I'm a little rummy...  Please forgive me.

Okay, what you came for -

I talked to dad twice today, and he sounded really good both times.  Nice to hear a little strength behind the voice. 

First and foremost - HE IS IN A DIFFERENT ROOM!  He is now in room 1566.  This should be a permanent change.   Secondly, he is no longer in isolation!!!  No more gowning up before entering his room.  I am so happy to be able to report that!  As much as I'll miss the lovely yellow sweat-makers...not!

Today they put a new picc line in for the nutrition IV that he will be getting the next couple of days.  They also replaced his nasal feeding tube with one that is a little larger around.  This isn't for food going in, this is to, in layman's terms, pump the stomach.  It's not like what we think of when we hear that term.  This is something that will go on overnight, as he sleeps.  They're helping out by doing this, to help expedite the emptying of his stomach.  It's just quicker to do it this way, rather than letting nature take its (slowwww) course.  They expect to be doing the endoscopy tomorrow to look for the blockage/restriction that's causing the issues.  Once they find it, they more than likely will be putting a stent in to open 'er back up.

As to whether or not to visit, I say come Monday, c'mon in!  He's enjoying having the company.  Gina and her husband Rick visited him today and he was a little lonely.  I think visiting keeps him occupied and gives him less time to lay there and think.  It's a fine balance between what's too much and what's not enough when it comes to visiting/visitors.  Again, I will let you use your judgement as to how he's doing, and how long the visit should be.  If something changes and Monday isn't a good start day, I will let you all know here.

I'm sure there's probably something else, and I'm sure I'll think of it as soon as I post this.  That seems to be how it goes with me!  Always one step behind...

Thank you all for the continued prayers.  I think these past few weeks have been proof that they work!  It's been a tough row to hoe, but he's making it, and we're making it.  You all have been so wonderful to my mom, my sisters and I.  You people can cook, I'll tell you what!  But it's so much more than the food.  It's the phone calls asking how we're doing.  It's the hugs you give us.  The list goes on and on (much like I tend to do - I am an Aliverti after all.).  Words will never be adequate.  Just know that we thank you from the bottom of our hearts and are eternally grateful for all of you.

On a totally unrelated note, I heard a quote today, and I just love it.  I thought I'd share it with you --

"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you."
- Dr. Seuss

Wise man, that Doctor Seuss.

Good night!

Leslie :)

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US POSTED ON YOUR DAD AND THE PROGRESS HE IS MAKING. I KNOW THAT WHEN IT COMES TIME FOR YOU TO REPORT IT IS THE END OF THE DAY AND YOU ARE, NO DOUBT, EXHAUSTED. JUST KNOW HOW MUCH EVERYONE APPRECIATES THE EFFORT. MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN KEEPING ED IN OUR PRAYERS TWICE EACH DAY AND IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW JUST HOW TO PRAY AND YOUR REPORT GIVES US CLARITY ON WHAT TO TAKE BEFORE THE LORD. I HAVE HAD THAT TUBE BUSINESS DOWN MY THROAT AND NOSE SO I CERTAINLY UNDERSTAND THE THINGS ED IS GOING THROUGH ... NOT COMFORTABLE AT ALL!

    PLEASE TELL YOUR DAD THAT MY WIFE EMMARY AND I TALK ABOUT HIM EVERYDAY AND SOOOOO APPRECIATE THE TOUCH HE HAS HAD ON SO MANY LIVES INCLUDING OURS. TELL HIM I TALKED WITH THE FIALA FAMILY (HE MAY REMEMBER JOHN 190 POUNDER) AND THEY TOO ARE PRAYING FOR HIS RECOVERY AND COMFORT.

    IT SEEMS LIKE LAST TIME I SAW YOUR DAD HE WAS DOING A TOUR ON THE ALASKA CRUISE SHIPS. THANK GOODNESS THAT PHILLIS SEND OUT THE IMFORMATION ON THIS BLOG.

    WELL, JUST KNOW HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO HAVE YOU KEEP US POSTED AND TELL YOUR DAD HE IS GREATLY, GREATLY LOVED BY SO MANY. TONS OF LOVE TO HIM AND BIG HUGS FROM ALL OF US CLEAR UP HERE IN BELLINGHAM.

    DOUG AND EMMARY CHAPPLE

    ReplyDelete